Saturday, September 03, 2016

Zac Basic Training Letter Day 2 & 3 8-20, 21 2016

8-20    22:00

Day 2 of basic. Kind of sucks but it's not horrible. These 72 hours were a rumored to be God awful and give you PTSD. Honestly just a bunch of yelling and a little bit of running with your duffel bags and holding it above your head. After that it was briefs. We get smoked like every 2 hours. Kind of sucks but whatever, at least I'm here and training.  People are having a really hard time following instructions. They say stand at attention and don't move.  Apparently that means scratch your face so you can get us all dropped. No matter how much we have been dropped they still don't get it. This is going to be a challenge. I understand that almost all these bigger tasks they give us are designed to have us fail. Part of the process. Still haven't been singled out by a drill sergeant or even talked to by one with the exception of when I have a question.  If this was just me or people similar to me, basic would be a breeze. It really is easy. The yelling doesn't bother me. The dropping and smoking session don't bother me either, they end and they only make me stronger. The hard part is going to be the mistakes of the other soldiers. As I am writing this a drill sergeant is in here ripping some people apart. I guess they will learn soon enough.
Well they couldn't figure out what they were doing so they got the whole platoon to have to just run into formation. Drill sergeant said of anyone in the company messes up tonight every platoon would be up and in formation every 30 minutes. Fully expecting not to sleep much tonight.

8-21    23:19
Zac is on the far right #342 on his helmet

Surprisingly the rest of the night went off without a hitch. This marks the end of the first 72 hours. Honestly I'm really disappointed. Like I said this was way more hyped up. At least in my case. I mean there was a lot of push-ups. "Platoon! Half face! In cadence! Exercise! One! Two! Three! One! Two! Three! Stop arching your back! (insert some vulgar insults about either a private or the platoon)".  I feel like I've already lost weight these last three days. I already feel muscle coming in. All the smoking here singled out some particular dorks who won't take this seriously. So we got dropped a lot. One bright side is that me and some other guys stepped up as leadership (unofficially).
Things are working a lot better working as a team. Whoa thunk. I'm tired of cleaning. Darn you dad for teaching me how to clean. But it's been a huge help.

Today was really good. Didn't get dropped too much which was nice. I finally got my army issued glasses. They are nice and comfortable but come with a price. "Huh Huh, can you see planets with those shades?"  Good one drill sergeant, it's good to hear high school insults again. Like come on that was just low hanging fruit. Tomorrow marks the first day of training.  We are doing the obstacle course. Now we finally get to the fun stuff. Two kids quit. Drill sergeants call them the quitters or the losers. But those aren't incorrect names. I don't know why they just don't finish training. They most likely won't leave for a couple of months.

Only 14 more weeks to graduation. They will flyby. Can't wait to see y'all in October!

Miss and love y'all
– Zac

P.S.- Send pictures of y'all and the puppies.
P.P.S.-  Please highlight the edges of the envelopes with blue.
P.P.P.S.S.S. - I'm chaffing so bad as of today I think I might start bleeding from my thighs. I walk like I've been horseback riding. OUCH!

Hopefully I can call in 3 weeks.

Love y'all

No comments: