Well, the first day of basic training is actually pretty fun. We did the obstacle course. It kicked my ass! A lot harder than I expected. We did a 3 mile march to the course and then before the way back they soaked us in water so we marched back soaking wet. Wet and sandy. We got issued M4's today. So many people haven't ever even held a gun. The trigger/barrel discipline was horrific. I have to go to sick call tomorrow because my ingrown toenail has become infected. Crazy fun stuff. People still won't follow simple instructions. We don't mind getting dropped but what people mind is getting dropped for doing stuff that they know not to do. You don't move or talk at attention. But some people think their nose itch or comment is worth getting the platoon dropped for. They tried telling people that whenever they decide to move or talk information they are saying that the team doesn't matter. That their itch is more important than the people who are staying still. Some people just don't care and it's affecting the platoon. DS said that he's going to start taking notes of the people who don't care and are constantly messing up. I foresee a lot of push-ups if these kids don't start caring.8-23 21:39
Day two of training down. Today was a good day. I went to sick call to deal with my toe. I got to catch a nap, right Toni a letter and do some studying. Then I got a $300+ procedure done for free. At one point, the DS that drop me off came in raging saying that he was called to pick me up but I never called. I was so nervous he was going to mess me up when I got back. I got a three day soft-shoe profile which means no push-ups, jumping or running so I've been doing a lot of squats and core stuff. We only got dropped like three times today. Our platoon got some compliments too. We overheard some drill sergeants mention it. Tomorrow we are going to the leadership course which will be awesome. Thursday we start training on CBRN and gas chamber next week. Saturday is going to be our first road March, which I'm excited for. Apparently if you drop out of the road march you have to redo it by yourself on the track.
I am really absorbing all the soldier training. I do what I'm told and do it well. Usually I am one of the last to get into chow, but one of the first to get out. Basic is so simple so far. I don't know why people freak out about it. I mean one platoon didn't secure one of their M4's so they got smoked for like two hours in the torrential downpour.
Time is moving very quickly which I love. Before I know it, it'll be family day and you will be able to see me as an official US soldier. Then I get to see y'all and the puppies! I miss hearing your voices and seeing y'all's faces. I miss puppy kisses and my guitars.
When mailing me back please highlight the outside edges of my envelope in
blue. Then write the number 342 big on the back.
Love y'all mucho,
Zac
No comments:
Post a Comment