So it's not pinkeye. They aren't sure what it is but they gave me ointment for my eye. It's weird putting it in my eye. I'm really happy that they didn't put me on profile. I get to do Eagle Tower & Gas Chamber. Next week technically starts white phase but they say we will still be in Red phase. People I've talked to say that is normal, they are pushing people through because they are so full.8-29 20:51
I have found ways to escape my platoon/Basic for a second. Every meal I am weapons relief. We leave our M4A1's grounded in our platoon area, so they always need to be guarded. I get to go into chow first, eat in like 3-5 min and then run to the bay and relieve the guards. At that point I get to just hang out for 20-30 minutes. Plus the DS likes to smoke us after meals, so I miss that. It's little things like those moments that help the day. Just a little escape. I've got to go to sleep because is Eagle Tower tomorrow! Love y'all.
![]() |
| Not Zac but his group |
![]() |
| Also not Zac |
I got to get to sleep.Love and miss y'all,
- Zac
8-31 04:23
Waking up is the worst part of the day. Always just so tired. One of those moments where you think if you quit you sleep in sooner. Supposedly all the quarters are leaving this Friday and should be home by next Friday. I've got the run this morning. My left ankle was swollen when I woke up and my knees are really super stiff and in pain. We'll see how this goes.
08:05
100 yards into the run we were going up a hill and something popped and cracked in my knee. Now I'm limping around. One DS is making me go to an athletic trainer. The other DS is being a horrible person. One DS told me to stand out a formation and the other is yelling at me to get back in. Then the other DS tells him he told me to step out. Then the other DS says, "you know what you are, you should come up to my office and start the paperwork." Calling me a quitter. I am not a quitter.
Not that I can do anything about it now but I don't think I like my MOS. I am not a killer. 98% of the platoon said they joined to stack bodies. That is just not me. I am literally enlisted for every other reason. Maybe I'm just supposed to be a musician.
09:03
I hope we start getting mail soon. And of next week we should get a phone call. My anxiety grows over people not getting up on time and doing the things they need to do while I'm busting my butt getting things done. It's really annoying.
12:57
Just got back from chow. It was pretty good today. Although the beef was so chewy my jaws are sore. I definitely miss mom's cooking, the chow just doesn't cut it. I'm excited to start eating good food again.
4th platoon has this drill sergeant and he just came back after a week off. He is on a total rampage. Messing up everyone he can. Dude's crazy.
Right now (13:43) we are on a latrine break from class. We've been in first aide class since 08:05. We are about to start the hands-on portion. I've always enjoyed first aid. Maybe I'll re-class to a medic. Who knows, maybe I'll start trying to get some medical licenses.
I try not to think about how much I miss y'all but it's hard, the best parts of my days are always with y'all. Now I'm just surrounded by a bunch of meatheads.
15:17
I was thinking as I stood at attention in the sun for 30 minutes. During these moments of sorrow, distress and pain, my next choices define me as a man. If I was to quit now, what would I quit in the future? If I quit now, could I call myself a man? If I quit now, could I look anyone in the eyes anymore? What lies would I tell myself to feel OK about my decision? Like dad said, I don't quit. I know part of the process of basic is to get broken down, and I am feeling that, I can't wait to rebuild into a stronger person both physically and mentally.Hopefully things will keep moving fast. We only have like 55 days till basic graduation. I can't believe that tomorrow is September 1. All I got to do is make it through September and then it's out. Homestretch.
16:20
I never got to go to the athletic trainer. I won't go till I can't walk but I'm thinking I might have a tear in something. When it's warm it doesn't feel too bad but when it's cold, I have to limp. It's on both knees especially my left, inside both muscular and skeletal.
17:47
Right now, we just got done eating chow and are back in our bay doing dry firing drills and studying. I'm reviewing a couple facts, then writing y'all. I know for sure about 75% of what I need to know for the test on next Friday.
23:07
Sitting at the desk for a fire guard shift tonight. The wake up was one where I was thoroughly enjoying my sleep and thoroughly confused when I woke up. Waking up here is so hard, honestly one of the harder things. DS came around last night as we are doing running drills and told me I have to go to WAT tomorrow. No if's, and's or buts. I'm worried about my knees, I think I might've torn something. My plan was to push through but he's making me go. Upsets me because I wanted to go to land mines today. I hate that I've been to sick call three times already but two out of the three have been mandatory by my DS. Supposedly if your profile is too big you have to be recycled, because I'm National Guard they will ship me home. That would suck as I'm already here and I'd have to reship at a later date. But I'm trying to keep thoughts like that out. Got to stay positive.
A lot of these kids are getting scared of going active. They think that active duty is going to be like basic training. Active duty actually seems kind of fun. I'm sure they've got their good and bad days like everything else does.
In 35 minutes, it will be September 1. I should be getting paid. I hope that my money has been coming in to pay my bills.
If you are posting my letters on the blog, make sure you tell everybody I'm doing fine. Sidenote, I've seen the company commander around a lot taking photos so I think you might catch me in one or two of them.
23:29
I'm going to end this letter now. If I don't it won't ever get sent. Most likely I'll start another letter immediately after I close this one out.
Love and miss you also very much.
Can't wait to see y'all again.
Can't wait to hear y'all's voices.
-Zac


No comments:
Post a Comment