Thursday, January 11, 2007

Missionaries, Fasting and Other News.

Yesterday, I had a funny experience. There was a knock at my door and I answered it only to find the missionaries. We talked for a brief moment and I mentioned that we were LDS because I thought that they were out just tracting and happened to be in my neighborhood. One the missionaries said "So are you very active?" "Yes" I responded. He then asked "So you go to church every Sunday?" I said "Yes, almost every Sunday, why?" (I was kind of confused by their line of questioning.) The missionaries looked at each other and then said, "Oh, we must of got some wrong information." I said "Well, we just moved into the ward in the middle of October, and we have missed several Sundays going to different wards for family functions and then the holidays were here and family was in town and a couple of times we have been sick...but we go." Then I realized that we were REFERRED to the missionaries as an inactive family!!! My first instinct was to run and grab my wallet so I could show them I was a current temple recommend holder. But I refrained, instead I smiled sweetly and said "Oh, someone must be worried about us? How nice." They said yes, that someone had been worried about us. Then I told them we were getting ready to move back to Washington, and I quickly threw in that before we left Washington we helped baptize an entire family. They thanked me an asked me to pray last night to have a missionary experience (which I did) and they were on their way. I guess I should try and stick out a little more at church. That way I will get noticed and people won't "worry" about us. The only problem with that is that when you get noticed, you get assignments and callings! I guess there will be no more flying under the wire for me! Oh, well.

Moving on....

For the past little while, I have not felt as spiritual as I thought I should (I wonder why?). I realized that I wasn't looking toward my Heavenly Father as much as I should be, that I was trying to do it all on my own. So, this past weekend, I actually set some New Years Goals for once in my life, one of which was to fast every fast Sunday. Sounds pretty simple, huh! Well, I have always been terrible at fasting and I was glad to know that I was exempt from fasting while I was pregnant and nursing. I milked (no pun intended) this excuse for way to long considering Toni is 8 1/2 now. So this past Sunday was my first go at it. I was preparing for this to be a very difficult day but, surprisingly, it wasn't. I truly felt that my Father in Heaven was blessing me to have a positive experience. I had fasted for 2 specific things, one of which was that the house in Vancouver would sell. I am happy to report that last night we got an offer on the house. Even if this offer doesn't go through I have been taught an important lesson in faith and reliance on our Lord. I was once again reminded that even I can be acknowledged by the Lord and he does look out for me each and every day. All I have to do is ask and he will provide (maybe not always exactly what I ask for) and he will comfort me.

Other news:
  • Business is doing great!
  • My landlord agreed to let us out of lease early. He said we could leave at the end of February or when ever we got a new renter, which ever one came first. So, I have put a For Rent sign in the window and have advertised on Craig's List and KSL. Hopefully we will get results soon!
  • All of our kids are on antibiotics! (Toni just has an antibiotic cream)
  • Our kids have another swim meet on Saturday in Orem.
  • I have not yet been flipped off, cut off or honked at this week by one of these crazy Utah drivers.
  • But I did hit a cat ... that made me very sad.
  • I found out I really don't need new tires for my car for another 10,000-20,000 miles! And I got new windshield wipers for my car. YEAH!!

Well, that's it for me today. Have a great day....I am off to vacuum, again!

Funny video you might like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJpAMXXGZ9o

2 comments:

Keary said...

I say "Go alkaida" or however you spell it.
Sounds to me as if you are growing up and having some good experiences.
I hope your kids going to do their best even if they are leaving? I'll be rooting for them.

alex said...

when I went to paramedic school I had to miss a few sundays. Like 4 in a row for clinical hours. I told the bishop that I would have to miss the sundays before it ever happened and while I was missing church other members would say we really hope you can come to church this sunday. I would say that I couldn't and explained, they would still keep asking Kiki where I was and if everything was alright. For some people it's all about the bench being warm. It is still important to go to church though.